The Museum of Heilongjiang Province, a landmark building of Heilongjiang's provincial capital Harbin, is undergoing its most significant repairs since it was recognized as a national key cultural relic protection unit in 2006.
The repairs started on May 16 and are expected to last eight months. They will mainly focus on damaged areas and will not change the original state of the museum. Its historical character will be retained as much as possible.
Traditional techniques will be used to carry out the repairs according to the original shape, structure, raw materials, and technology, and the original components will be used as much as possible so as to avoid potential safety risks.
The Museum of Heilongjiang Province was built in 1906 and is a modern brick-concrete structure built in an Art Nouveau architectural style.
At the beginning of its construction, it was called the "Moscow Mall" and consisted of a department for cloth and enamel.
On June 12, 1923, the Exhibition Center of the Eastern Provincial Cultural Relics Research Association was established and opened to the outside world, creating the necessary conditions for the development of the museum.
In 1954, the museum was included into the jurisdiction of Heilongjiang province from Songjiang province.
The museum then began collecting a large number of historical, natural and artworks, held a number of exhibitions, and was officially renamed the Museum of Heilongjiang Province.